Full Scale Innovative Vehicle Design Challenge
Student Engineers transform gas-powered go-karts, or build vehicles from the ground up, to create electric or hybrid-electric vehicles, with a focus on efficiency, innovation and energy management.
Square One’s Full-Scale Innovative Vehicle Design (IVD) Challenge inspires teams of high school students to either transform a gas-powered go-kart, or to build a vehicle from the ground up, creating an electric or hybrid-electric vehicle. Full Scale IVD vehicles are designed to maximize performance on two different tracks (Figure 8 Track & Road Course), while also featuring innovative components that differentiate them from competitors. Past IVD vehicles have included fuel cell technology, carbon fiber chassis, three wheel “leaning” vehicles, “drive by wire” technology, on-board data collection & control systems, and more.
Emphasis is on leading-edge industry needs including Light-weighting and Connected Vehicle Sensor Technologies, along with traditional vehicle engineering topics. Teams utilize vehicle engineering principles to predict and minimize energy consumption, to maximize vehicle range, and to guarantee driver safety. As part of the design process, students investigate all aspects of modern passenger vehicle design.
Full Scale IVD Content
- Micro-Controllers & Sensor Technologies
- Rolling Resistance
- Power & Energy Consumption
- Electric Drive Systems
- Vehicle Safety
- Structural Engineering
- Vehicle Dynamics
- Systems Engineering
- Battery Technologies
- Traditional Auto Technologies (Brakes, Suspension, Steering
Full Scale IVD Awards
- Excellence of Execution
- Public Relations
Join the Challenge
Student teams compete at the annual IVD Challenge Day for awards in performance, engineering, craftsmanship, design, innovation, ambassadorship, presentation and more.
The annual Full Scale IVD Registration Fee includes:
- Full-day Kickoff Workshop for 2 teachers & 5 team members
- Access to all project resources (Project Parameters, all presentations, parts lists, instructional videos, etc)
- Participation in Mid-Season Competition
- Participation in Annual IVD Challenge Day Competition
- Access to exclusive Square One Events like “IVD Kettering Day” at Kettering University, and Industry Exposure Opportunities
- Eligibility for student scholarships exclusively for IVD Alumni (from Kettering University, umlaut, and others)
- Access to monthly Tech & Admin Meetings for project updates
- Ongoing tech support from IVD Project Specialist
- On-site tech support available on request
- Access to private Square One site for networking & tech support
Sign your team up today!
“I am so proud to be a part of the Square One Education Network because it has further influenced my interest in engineering as a whole. I am always happy when I go to